Friday, February 6, 2009

Independence

Over the past few weeks I have been watching my boys assert their independence more and more. I suppose this is good, especially with a new baby coming soon, but it is also sad for me in a way and sometimes very frightening. Kiran tried to climb out of his crib for the first time this week. He landed flat on his back on the floor.

I had decided that, since Sammy is not potty trained, I would wait until after the baby's arrival to start the process. Sammy has other ideas, though. A couple of weeks ago I heard noises in the bathroom when Sammy was supposed to be napping. I went upstairs to find him using the potty all by himself. Since then he has gotten to the point that he can use the potty on his own and even put his diaper and pants back on by himself. I guess we are potty training now, because my very independent first born has decided that is what we are doing.

The other day I heard Sammy open the refrigerator door and asked what he was doing. He said he was getting himself some orange juice. I told him that I would come and help him, but he said, "I already have juice in cup with water and ice. Doesn't that sound yummy?!" What could I say at that point?

I guess I am going to have to get used to the fact that my boys can do more and more without my help. It appears that they will do these things whether or not I am ready.

No comments: