Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bad Coffee Day

This morning was a perfect example of the mixture of sunshine and rain. Not only did the weather outside fluctuate from bright sunshine to light rain to wild storms and back again, but life inside my home seemed to do the same. This morning was the time designated for mopping the kitchen floor, a task I always put off as long as possible. But, my husband complained about the boys' dirty feet before he left for work, so I decided that it was time.

My problem with doing housework with two toddlers running around is that it always seems to create more work. While I am cleaning the kitchen, for example, they are destroying the den. I thought I had the solution today. They were sitting at the table, buckled into their seats, contentedly drinking milk from their sippy cups. What trouble could they possibly cause? I was busily working on one side of the kitchen when I heard Sammy (2 1/2) say, "Mommy, see what Kiran (16 mos.) doing!" I had left my coffee on the table. He had poured it all over himself and the floor and was happily playing in the puddle on the table. To make matters worse, this was my second cup of coffee this morning. I had to pour out the first one when I realized that the cream in it was spoiled-this after drinking nearly half of it. I just couldn't put my finger on why it tasted so odd...

Now I had to decide if I was going to laugh or to cry. Sammy asked, "Mommy oh-set? Kiran time-out?" I told him I wasn't upset. Kiran was just being curious. I shouldn't have left the cup on the table. He didn't break the cup, he didn't get hurt, and I was about to mop the floor anyway. There is good to be found in everything.

A few minutes later Kiran kept me from my task again, but this time it was because he just wanted to be with me. As I sat on the floor scrubbing, he walked over, turned around, sat down on my lap, and didn't move. I could have moved him along, but instead I decided just to enjoy my little boy. Not only did I appreciate the break from my dreaded job, but I realized that my to-do list is not always the most important thing. My boys won't be little forever. I don't want them to look back on their childhoods and remember that we had a clean house. I want them to remember that they had a mother who loved them and had time for them and could see the good in them.

God gave me these beautiful, intelligent, energetic little boys because He thought I could raise them into godly men. I have to trust that He knows what He is doing. They are such a blessing and such a trial. I love them, and I can't imagine my life without them, but I do have to admit that I have never worked harder. This period in my life is a learning and growing experience. I am being stretched in every direction, and I am learning to look for and to lean on my great God.

2 comments:

Lisa Hill said...

Beautifully written! I think you have a future in devotional writing!

Much love,
Lisa

Jen Ambrose said...

This is great. It reminds me a lot of my friend Danielle's introduction to her first book, My Cup of Tea. She thought she would have a quiet moment to enjoy a hot cup of tea before everyone woke up, and just after she made it each one of her then five or six kids (she's up to 8), needed her, and sometime near lunchtime she found her ice-cold, untouched tea.