Thursday, July 31, 2008

A new day

Yesterday was one of those days when nothing goes right. Sammy seems to look for these times when my defenses are down, and he tries to see exactly how far he can go. In fact, he is fond of saying, "Make Mommy crazy?" Yesterday he pushed and pushed. He knows there is a line he shouldn't cross, but he wanted to find out precisely where it was. He found it.

After a very long afternoon with Sammy, I needed to get the boys ready to go to a picnic, and my husband had called to say that he wasn't going to make it. I was putting laundry in the dryer (so that Sammy's bunny and Kiran's blanket would be ready for bedtime) and I heard Sammy say, "I pour water on Kiran!" Great. Sure enough, Kiran was drenched, head to toe.

"Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22-23) Thank you, Lord. Today is a new day. I have another chance, and I do not have to do it alone.

I have been studying worship, and I have learned that it is not a specific action or even a specific moment. The Complete Book of Everyday Christianity says this about worship: "Indeed, our spiritual worship involves nothing less than offering up our whole lives to God, so that all we do is in conformity with God's character and standards rather than with the attitudes and values of the world. This means that we do not move in and out of worshiping God when we go to church on Sundays but are always worshiping God and just doing so well or badly, consciously or unconsciously." Serving my family is worship. Today I pray for the strength and patience to do it well.

1 comment:

Momma Bear said...

Such a great way to look at things :)xqcvtmcv