Sunday, November 9, 2008

He's going to be a challenge

The other day we had a nurse here who comes periodically to check the boys' developmental progress. It is part of the county's school readiness program. She asked Sammy to make some associations. My boy had his own thoughts. His answers were not technically wrong, just not what she was going for. She asked him what he does when he is hungry. Instead of saying, "I eat," he said, "I have a peaunt butter and jelly sandwich." Good answer. A little more information than necessary, but good. The next few were pretty much what she wanted until she asked what he uses to eat soup. His problem was not with the question but with the picture of a bowl of soup she showed him. He said, "That looks like cereal." OK. What do you use to eat cereal? "I think it is oatmeal." OK. What do you use to eat oatmeal? Finally, "A spoon." A few questions later she asked, "What do you eat salad with?" With no hesitation he said, "Salad dressing."

Later Sammy pulled a bell out of the nurse's bag and told her it was spices. She started to tell him it was a bell. I had to explain that he was pretending, so she played along, and he told her all about the spices he was using to make steak. Then he told her that the bell was a lamp. She told him that he is hard to keep up with. No kidding.

He is unique!

3 comments:

Karin said...

Absolutely precious!!

Jen Ambrose said...

I can see Sammy saying that. Wonderful.

Well, at least you are ready for the teachers' comments.
Earlier this summer, Myles and I were working on a kindergarten readiness worksheet. He was supposed to color some shape the color of the sky. He reached into the 64 color box and pulled out red. "Sometimes," he said, "in the early morning, the sky is about this color."
Yeah, we'll wait another year for some school to sap that out of him.

Bethany said...

He's already trying to stump the teacher...