Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pancake recipe

I tried a new recipe for pancakes on Sunday, and these were the best pancakes I have ever had. I had to modify the original recipe slightly, because I didn't have blueberries. Instead I used apples and cinnamon. Here is my version:

Oatmeal and Wheat Flour Apple Pancakes
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups vanilla soy milk
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large apple, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons water

1. In a small saucepan, cook apples with water and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until apples are soft.
2. Preheat a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat.
3. In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
4. In a small bowl mix oats and soy milk. Whisk in eggs and olive oil. Pour into the flour mixture all at once. Continue mixing until smooth. Fold in apples.
5. Pour batter about 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared griddle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until bubbly. Flip and continue cooking until lightly browned.

Makes about 8 servings.

This made a lot of pancakes, but I always like to make extra so that I can freeze them between sheets of waxed paper and have a quick breakfast on weekdays. They heat from frozen in the microwave in 30-60 seconds.

Here is the link to the original recipe. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal-and-Wheat-Flour-Blueberry-Pancakes/Detail.aspx

No comments: